PMRC TB Research Centre
KING EDWARD MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LAHORE
Phone. 042 99211602. E-Mail email@example.com
Centre In charge: Dr. Rizwan Iqbal,
PMRC TB Research Centre, Mayo Hospital, King Edward Medical University, Lahore was established in 1973. At present it has well equipped research laboratory with latest equipment provided by National TB Control Program (NTP). The centre has qualified staff for laboratory diagnosis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis, which includes microscopy, culture, and drug susceptibility testing for first line as well as second line of anti tubercular drugs. Almost all the departments of Mayo hospital are utilizing diagnostic facilities of PMRC centre on regular basis. About 95% of TB patients are provided free diagnostic facilities.
The centre is working in close collaboration with National and Provincial TB Control Program, providing microscopy facility to patients enrolled under DOTs program. Around 50 patients visit TB centre each day to get their tests done. The centre is also working for NTP AS “National Referral Laboratory for monitoring Drug Resistance in anti TB drugs”.
The centre has recently been renovated and equipped to cater the growing needs in this field of research. Apart from working on first line anti TB drugs since its establishment now centre has started to work on second line of anti TB drugs.
Name Designation Qualifications
The centre is fully equipped with most updated equipment such as biological safety cabinet (Class 11 B), incubator (Germany make), inspissator (UK make) international centrifuge (Germany make), PH meter, table top (UK make), oven (Hot Air) (Germany make), Analytical Balance (Germany make), Pipetting Syringes (Germany make) and Slide Drawing Plate (Spain make) being donated by National TB Control Programme, Islamabad. Now we can perform microscopy, isolation, identification and culture sensitivity of M. tuberculosis isolates more efficiently. In addition all facility is in use to determine multi and multiple drug resistance among the isolated strains of M. tuberculosis. This facility is extended to all institutes, hospitals and private sector institutes.
Research projects from K.E.M.U, Lahore
Research projects are invited from all departments of King Edward Medical University and we help them to get funds for these projects from Pakistan Medical Research Council, Islamabad.
The centre is affiliated to the Postgraduate Medical Institute, Centre of Excellence in Molecular Biology (CEMB) and University of Punjab, Lahore for providing all facilities of training to postgraduate students of these Institutions.
Hameed Latif Hospital, Shalimar Hospital, Lahore General Hospital, Lady Wallington Hospital, Lady Atchison Hospital, and various other hospitals inside and outside Lahore also send their specimens for screening of TB patients to this center. It also has the referral TB diagnostic facility for Microscopy, culture, Identification and determining the anti TB drug susceptibility patterns.
Number of Research Publications (During the last 5 years)
tuberculosis: Conventional versus newer methods. Pakistan Journal of Chest Medicine 2009; 15: No. 1: 11-14.
Shabbir I, Iqbal R, Qadeer E. Screening of tuberculosis in
Kharal Abbasian Azad Kashmir. Pak J Med Res 2009; 48: 1-3
On Going Research Studies: (Future Strategy)
1. To study the first and second line of anti TB drug resistance pattern in treatment failure cases thus to establish invitro susceptibility pattern of second line of anti TB drugs in multi and multiple drug resistance cases. (140 cases of MDR completed)
2. To study the factors responsible for failure to initiate tuberculosis treatment among smear positive tubercular patients.
3. Screening for latent tuberculosis with commitment to control the disease.
4. Multi drug resistance anti TB drugs monitoring on regular basis to furnish data on pattern of TB drug resistance.
5. Detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in extra pulmonary specimens using polymerase chain reaction.
6. Study of extra pulmonary specimens on LJ media verses PCR for the diagnosis of tuberculosis.
7. Development of PCR-SS CP for the detection of mutation in Isoniazid resistant mycobacterium study in collaboration with CEMB.
8. Molecular characterization of some Multi drug resistant genes of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates of Pakistan.
Submitted Research Studies.
Screening for tuberculosis among the household contacts with the commitment to control the disease. PMRC multi centric study.
Detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in extra pulmonary specimens using polymerase chain reaction.
• Microscopy of mycobacterium by concentration and direct method.
• Pulmonary and extra pulmonary culture of mycobacterium on LJ Medium.
•Anti TB drug susceptibility testing of 1st and 2nd line drugs by standard proportion method.
Key Aim of PMRC TB Centre.
Our main aim is to get PMRC TB Research Center recognized as W.H.O. Referral centre on TB which will be first and only of its kind in Pakistan. Prerequisite for this achievement is to make TB Lab. Bio Safety Level 3 type (BSL3), efforts are under way, Dr. Salman H. Siddiqi presently consultant Becton Dickenson in USA and our Honorary Technical Advisor is providing all the technical expertise and guidance to achieve this prestigious goal